. Formula1 News, Wallpapers And Analysis: Durango pursuing 2011 Formula One entry

Formula1 News

Formula1 News
Your Ad Here

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Durango pursuing 2011 Formula One entry

Former GP2 team Durango have told the FIA they are interested in becoming the 13th entry on the Formula One grid for 2011. Regulations allow for a 26-car field and the FIA is currently looking for an additional team for next season, with an announcement expected in July.

Financial problems prompted Durango’s departure from the GP2 Series at the end of last year, but boss Ivone Pinton says he now has two major investors in place who want to push the Italian team into Formula One racing.

“After all the wrong things happened last season we tried our best to look for new partners in our racing activity,” he told the team’s website. “It did not take long to understand that the interest could be aroused just about Formula One and nothing else. So we pushed towards this direction and I can say that, to enter F1, we can now enjoy the backing of two very big international groups.”

As well as GP2, Durango have previously competed in other series including Formula Three and sportscars. Now, however, Pinton believes they are in a position to take the step to the top of the racing ladder.

“So even keeping our feet on the ground as we say in Italy, because up till now this is just a serious attempt, I’d like to think that after so many years spent pushing young drivers to became future champions, now the time has come to strongly push Durango as a team towards the motorsport pinnacle,” he added.

No comments:

Post a Comment